Best Tumeric Supplements
Do you feel like you could use a nutritional boost? For most of us, sticking to a perfect diet is mission impossible.
Superfood supplement powders, such as greens powder, or even multivitamins are a great way to ensure you have all of your nutritional bases covered.
But there’s another superfood supplement that’s gaining a reputation as the healthiest in the world right now: turmeric.
Science reports some incredible benefits of this golden spice. From reducing inflammation, improving fat loss, reducing stress & depression to fighting cancer. It’s even used by yogis and athletes to improve joint health.
We’ve done the research and picked out the current two best turmeric supplements on the market. We’ll go over their pros and cons as well as serving sizes to help you pick the one that best suits your needs.
Why Take a Turmeric Supplement?
Why should you take a turmeric supplement? Because so many things can compromise our health and prevent us from enjoying life.
- Chronic, low-grade inflammation
- Lack of nutrition in our diet (due to modern farming, nutrient-deprived soils etc.)
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Sleep deprivation
- Not enough time spent in nature
Mix all of this together, and it’s a recipe for poor mental and physical health.
Thankfully, a high quality turmeric supplement can help offset these problems. It’s an ideal option for those who want to minimize certain risk factors for heart disease, treat gut inflammation, and improve joint health.
Turmeric’s neutralizing effect on free radicals also makes it a good option for preserving brain function as you age.
Best Turmeric Supplements on Offer Right Now
Now that you’ve seen the basics, here’s a look at the two best turmeric brands on offer today:
#1 – Drishti “Ashti” Turmeric
Drishti Ashti is a premium turmeric product formulated using 100% natural and vegan-friendly ingredients. It features turmeric powder with 95% curcuminoids, which makes it a highly concentrated turmeric supplement.
Ginger is included in Drishti Ashti for its ability to stimulate digestion and blood flow. And BioPerine (black pepper extract) ensures your body absorbs turmeric properly.
Drishti Ashti Benefits:
- Maintain healthy joints and bones
- Improve flexibility
- Reduce inflammation
- Improve physical longevity and mental well-being
- Organic Turmeric (500mg)
- Organic Ginger Extract (100mg)
- Turmeric 95% Curcuminoids (50mg)
- BioPerine (5mg)
Drishti Turmeric is free of wheat, gluten, soy, egg, fish, tree nuts, shellfish, milk or yeast. All of the ingredients in this supplement are responsibly sourced to be highly effective with optimal bioavailability.
- Supports mental and physical health
- Complete formula with 95% curcuminoids, BioPerine and Ginger
- Great value ($23.99 for a bottle of 60 capsules)
- Only available direct at DrishtiSupplements.com
#2 Cytoplan Cell Active Curcumin Plus
Cell-Active Curcumin Plus by Cytoplan contains curcumin extracted from turmeric root, along with gingerols from ginger root.
The formula is high quality and free of common allergens. Although a bit expensive, it’s still a good value considering the benefits of turmeric (and curcumin).
One thing to keep in mind, is that this supplement doesn’t include a black pepper extract. Which means your body won’t be able to absorb turmeric properly. That’s why we suggest drinking this with a bit of black pepper to improve absorption.
Cytoplan Cell Active Curcumin Plus Benefits:
- Contributes to lower levels of inflammation
- Enhances the body’s antioxidant defenses
- Improves blood flow
- Suitable for vegans
- Free Shipping in the UK
- Contains a good quality curcumin
- A bit pricey ($40 for 30 servings)
- Contains some unnecessary “other ingredients”
Types of Turmeric Supplements
There are loads of choices when it comes to supplements. This can be overwhelming if you’re looking to buy a turmeric supplement for the first time.
Each turmeric supplement is different in its own way, but generally they fall under three main categories:
- Turmeric from the powdered root of Curcuma Longa – This supplement is extracted from finely ground roots of the turmeric plant. It’s also used as a spice to make curry. The advantage of using the whole root of turmeric is that you aren’t just getting the curcuminoids but also other beneficial compounds of turmeric, which makes it more natural. Turmeric extract contains the highly concentrated curcumin compound, but the benefits are more isolated compared to turmeric as a whole.
- Turmeric Extract – As the name says, these turmeric supplements are concentrated to have high amounts of curcuminoids, which are the most studied compounds in turmeric. But the downside is that they have lower-bioavailability, making it harder for your body to absorb them, unless you add black pepper to it.
- Turmeric Powders+Extract – This is the best combo. You’re getting the best of both worlds; the whole-spectrum turmeric powder with all of its natural compounds, as well as a highly concentrated turmeric extract which is the most effective compound in the spice.
The takeaway here is that curcumin isn’t absorbed well by your body on its own. So you need to look for a supplement that uses a black pepper extract to maximize turmeric absorption.
In addition, you might want to take your turmeric supplement with a teaspoon of virgin coconut oil to further enhance absorption.
We’ve tested, reviewed and ranked the above turmeric supplemenets based on product quality, brand reputation, ingredient doses and other factors.
To ensure our reviews are fair, we’ve stuck to a set of rules when testing each supplement to determine its final score. Some of our criteria included:
- Short-Term Effects
- Long-Term Effects
- Inclusion of other ingredients for better absorption (e.g. Bioperine, Ginger)
- Our Team’s Results
- Manufacturing Standards (has to be at least cGMP approved)
One of the most important criteria to ranking turmeric supplements was their dosage. While turmeric has been shown to work at many different dose levels, much of the evidence has used the doses between 400-500mg of turmeric, and around 30-50mg of curcumin as the main ingredient.
As a result, we gave a higher score to supplements that had doses close to this range.
After inspecting the dose, our next important criteria was how many “other ingredients” does a supplement have. Products with too many additives and fillers, such as silicon dioxide and stearic acid scored lower. We also preferred products with vegan-friendly capsules as opposed to gelatin capsules, but this wasn’t a critical ranking factor.
One thing that we specifically wanted from turmeric supplements was to ensure that their turmeric was absorbable and utilized by the body. For example, Drishti Ashti has included BioPerine, a patented form of black pepper extract to improve the amount of turmeric and curcumin that actually get used by your body.
Conclusion to Best Turmeric Supplements
So that concludes our review of the best turmeric supplements available to buy today!
Hopefully, we’ve given you some good information on finding the right turmeric supplements for your goals.
Our favorite is Drishti Ashti which contains both turmeric root powder as well as turmeric extract to provide a complete range of health benefits. But all of the products on this list can deliver the benefits, it just depends on what works best for you.
For our current top rated turmeric supplement of this year, follow the links below: